Cloud Hypervisor v22.0 Released!
Posted March 3, 2022 by Cloud Hypervisor Team ‐ 3 min read
This release has been tracked through the v22.0 project.
GDB Debug Stub Support
Cloud Hypervisor can now be used as debug target with GDB. This is controlled
gdb compile time feature and details of how to use it can be found in
virtio-iommu Backed Segments
In order to facilitate hotplug devices that require being behind an IOMMU (e.g.
QAT) there is a new option
--platform iommu_segments=<list_of_segments> that
will place all the specified segments behind the IOMMU.
Before Boot Configuration Changes
It is now possible to change the VM configuration (e.g. add or remove devices, resize) before the VM is booted.
virtio-balloon Free Page Reporting
--balloon free_page_reporting=on is used then the guest can report pages
that is it not using to the VMM. The VMM will then notify the host OS that
those pages are no longer in use and can be freed. This can result in improved
Support for Direct Kernel Booting with TDX
Through the use of
TD-Shim lightweight firmware it is now possible to
directly boot into the kernel with TDX. The TDX
has been updated for this usage.
PMU Support for AArch64
A PMU is now available on AArch64 for guest performance profiling. This will be exposed automatically if available from the host.
Documentation Under CC-BY-4.0 License
The documentation is now licensed under the “Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International” license which is aligned with the project charter under the Linux Foundation.
Deprecation of “Classic”
The use of the Rust based virtiofsd is now recommended and we are no longer testing against the C based “classic” version.
Notable Bug Fixes
- Can now be used on kernels without
virtio-balloonsize is now validated against guest RAM size (#3689)
- Ensure that I/O related KVM VM Exits are correctly handled (#3677)
- Multiple TAP file descriptors can be used for
virtio-netdevice hotplug (#3607)
- Minor API improvements and fixes (#3756, #3766, #3647, #3578)
- Fix sporadic seccomp violation from glibc memory freeing (#3610, #3609)
- Fix Windows 11 on AArch64 due to wider MSI-X register accesses (#3714, #3720)
vhost-userfeatures are correct across migration (#3737)
- Improved vCPU topology on AArch64 (#3735, #3733)
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to our release:
- Akira Moroo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barret Rhoden email@example.com
- Bo Chen firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fabiano Fidêncio email@example.com
- Feng Ye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Henry Wang Henry.Wang@arm.com
- Jianyong Wu email@example.com
- lizhaoxin1 Lxiaoyouling@163.com
- Michael Zhao firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rob Bradford email@example.com
- Sebastien Boeuf firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wei Liu email@example.com
See the GitHub Release for the release assets.